January 28, 2015
It’s hard to even comprehend that it’s 2 years since that fateful day that took Jack’s precious young life way too soon It’s not a journey that any parent should ever have to endure and his loss is an ache that is felt everyday. The best we can do is to remember the absolute joy he brought to our lives. Jack was a kind, loving and sensitive boy who loved his sport, loved his mates, loved his family, so many things to even put into words. It will always be hard to resolve why this happened but he has become a hero in his right with the awareness campaign for Shallow Water Blackout. I can’t even begin to thank my sister Sharon and brother-in-law Gary enough for their amazing commitment to save lives via SWB education. I thank everyone who has continued to support me on this nightmare journey, my husband, my daughters, my family and friends, and those of you who are supporting the awareness campaign and spreading this important message. I have realised since 60 Minutes that I must look after myself so I can look after my family and although it is often terribly hard to face each day without my son, I soldier on to be the best mother, wife, sister, daughter, friend that I can be. Jack MacMillan you are a true hero, shining bright, holding a special place in my heart forever my beautiful son. Each new day means another day we are closer to being together again. You are loved so very very much and I look forward to our hugs and chats in my dreams and cherishing every wonderful memory of your life
Holding breath underwater can cause deadly blackouts, warn experts.
Parents should ban their children from playing competitive breath holding games underwater because it can cause sudden death, warns a northern beaches swimming coach.
Pat Taylor, a swimming teacher of 50 years, said the dangers of shallow water blackouts, where people faint while underwater due to prolonged and repetitive breath-holding, was being taken seriously within the swimming community.
“It’s something kids have always done. But it’s scary because there have been deaths,” she said.
Mrs Taylor said it was important to educate parents about the dangers in time for the school holidays.
Read the full article here: